Lit from Within: The Day I Wore Green Lipstick
-->

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Day I Wore Green Lipstick


On a whim, I bought a green lipstick. It's green, really, really green.  Wicked-Witch-Of-The-West-Green.  Here's what happened on the day I wore it.

It's called ColourPop Bunny, but it's real name is, 'Ohh, Nidia.'  Said with my mother's voice, in a 'what-have-I-done-to-deserve-this' tone.  That's what I heard in my head as I put it on.  The same exasperated sigh of my name I got every time I said I'd had a few drinks with friends, or used a bad word, or when I got my tattoo.  At 40 years old.

Getting ready, I asked my husband if I looked okay, or if I should tuck in my shirt and wear a belt.  He said, "I don't think anyone is going to be looking at your shirt." 


So, I had it in my head that today, the world was going to look at me different.  If I was going to leave the house with this bold lippie on, then, my first stop would be to find my people.

So I went to Sephora.

In the parking lot, an older couple tried desperately to give me a parking space I didn't want.  Surely they couldn't be scared of me?

In Sephora, the clerks accepted me as one of the pack.  I was pulling it off.  One clerk asked me what I was wearing.  Another said she was inspired to pull out her OCC Lip Tars for that weekend's Urban Decay event.

A woman in line to pay, who was probably around my age, but with a sensible haircut that made her look older, gave me the side-eye.


When I left the Sephora and back into JC Penney, I was vulnerable again, but I still felt a little empowered, so I smiled at all the people staring at me.  Felt pretty good, really.

I went to Sally's, where the clerk, whom I had seen a hundred times before, was sweet and friendly, and desperately trying not to look at my lips.  Nothing to see here, move along.

I had to get home to meet my mechanic, who was coming to the house to fix a part on my aging station wagon.  I've known him for over 10 years now, and we are friends of a sort.  My husband had left to pick up dinner, but when he pulled up in our other car, a green Ford, Jeff asked if I had worn that lipstick to match my car, or if I was a tree-hugger, or if I wore it to match my husband's shirt.  I laughed, and he explained that he just felt like he should ask about it, like I wanted him to.  I'd kinda forgotten about it by then, but maybe, subconsciously, I did.  After all, if you're going to wear bright green lips, people are going to notice. 
The makeup I wore:  Face Stockholm Matte Dream Palette, Laura Geller Baked Eyeshadow Palette Desert Dusk, Too Faced Bulletproof Brows Brunette, Tarte Airblush Shimmering Poppy, Smashbox Baked Starburst Fusion Soft Lights, Eddie Funkhouser Concealer Light, Milani Eyeshadow primer, Colour Pop Bunny, Urban Decay Ozone lipliner, It Cosmetics Hello Lashes Extensions mascara, It Cosmetics No-Tug Waterproof Gel Eyeliner Silk Taupe, Cover FX CC Cream, and Cover FX Calming Primer.

What's the wildest makeup you've worn in public?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...