Lit from Within: Something a little different Sunday - My... Indies? What?
-->

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Something a little different Sunday - My... Indies? What?

Don't worry, there are some normal polishes today, too.

Last year, I went to The Makeup Show in Orlando, and there was a booth that sold nail polishes - that you made yourself.  Well, I've been loving Indie polishes for awhile, so I wanted to see if I could do it, too.  I made three.

The first is a wine/brown with red glitter.  I love the color, but it's too easy for the red glitter to get lost.  And. like all three polishes I made, it's pretty gritty.


The good news?  Look how *fantastic* it looks with Color Club Snow-Flakes on it.  I love flakies.  This was part of their 2012 Holiday line, but I understand it's a dupe for Essie Shine of the Times and the like.


This is a green I made, with gold holo glitter.  Something about green and gold together!  Pretty, but again, gritty.  How do Indie makers get the polish to be smooth?


I decided to layer 365 Days of Color Rock Candy over it.  Very festive, if not my cup of tea.  I got this in a grab bag of polishes.  It's pretty, but I just am not that much into shards of glitter.  Maybe in a jelly sammich.


And, finally, a light blue with dark blue and holo glitter.  Grit-tastic, and a little frostier than I'd thought it would be. 


I layered Lilacquer Blueberry Pi over it, but it didn't show up much at all. Whomp-whomp.


So, here's what I learned:
-  Almost every polish can be changed by adding a topcoat glitter.  It's not always changed for good.
- Making polish is super easy.  Making GOOD polish... not so much.

So, hat tip for the Indie makers who take pride in a good product with materials that don't bleed or curl up, that are smooth and pretty.  I'll keep buying them, because I'm not so good at making them.

2 comments:

  1. ooooh!! like those. i was so tempted to make one. i didnt do it though. maybe this year i will try.
    i love the color club flakie. i think i bought that one and havent used it yet....
    *runs to paint nails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you use the CC flakie? It's soo pretty. I think it's the same as a lot of other flakies, but I fall in love every time I see that flakie combo!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...