Lit from Within: Subscription Box Battle! May BB5, Ipsy, Birchbox, and Petit Vour
-->

Monday, June 9, 2014

Subscription Box Battle! May BB5, Ipsy, Birchbox, and Petit Vour

Hello, Fireflies!

Have you thought about subscribing to one of the many sample beauty boxes out there?  I really do enjoy getting to try different things that I might not otherwise find out about, or getting a sample without risking buying a whole box of one product.  Today, I have the May boxes of 4 different sub boxes, so you can get a sense of what's out there!

Beauty Box 5

Beauty Box 5

Though I usually like what I get from BB5, this month was kinda meh for me.  Here's what we got in the box:


I'd already received a Harvey Prince Hello sample in another box.  While I usually love citrus scents, this one just smells like turpentine on me.  Personal chemistry fail.

I like H2O Plus products, and I'm looking forward to trying this cleansing gel, but I have a ton of these open, and I just want to finish something up.

The Ban cloths are just not that interesting to me.  I have cleansing cloths for removing my makeup, etc.  If I want to, I can put them in the fridge or freezer for a cooling sensation.
Cativa precision eyeliner
I do like trying new eyeliners, and at a $20 value, this Cativa eyeliner more than makes up for the price of the subscription bag. I know that black is a safe bet, but I have a lot of black eyeliners now.  I want to try something new - a new formula, a new color, maybe?

If you'd like to subscribe to Beauty Box 5 and use my referral link, please click HERE.

Ipsy

Ipsy May

Ipsy has become my favorite subscription.  There's always something fun and things I want to try in my Ipsy bag, though I haven't really used anything from this month's bag yet.

Right after I saw a tutorial about using charged water on your liquid foundation brush to ease application and prevent the brush from absorbing too much foundation, we get this Thermal Spring Water sample from Avene.  I'll use it when I go visit my family, because it's perfect travel-size.

I'm a new fan of masques, so I'm looking forward to trying the honey masque.  I've tried clay and grapeseed, and mud, but honey is a new one!



I'm terrible when it comes to adding sunscreen, but I spend most of my time indoors, anyway.  Houses make excellent sunscreen.  This would probably be a great sunscreen to mix in with a foundation that is a little too dark, as the white pigment would probably lighten it.

The makeup in this bag is really light, too.  The Pacifica duo is almost too light, but I am a sucker for duochrome/shimmer shadows, and I know this will be great layered over a darker shadow, too. 
If you'd like to subscribe to Ipsy through my referral link, please click HERE.

 Birchbox

Birchbox

 Birchbox has hits and misses for me.  I do like this month's box!


The Lifestyle Extra is usually kinda neat - something I wouldn't necessarily pick up for myself, but a nice pampering treat.  This month's candle is nice.  I might make up a little romantic gift bag with it.

Supergoop is in almost every subbox and sample bag I get these days! I like it, so I won't complain, though.  It's probably the best facial sunscreen I've tried in terms of texture and absence of that 'sunscreen scent'.  Seems to work, though I haven't spent a long day outside in a while.

I love getting lippies in sub boxes.  This Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm is a great color, and washes out to a tint on the lips.

My oily skin loves serums.  Lots of great stuff in this Marcelle Power Serum without being too hydrating or emollient.
If you'd like to subscribe to Birchbox through my referral link, please click HERE.

Petit Vour
Petit Vour

This is a new box to me.  I won it from a giveaway hosted by Phyrra! You know if Phyrra likes it, it's going to be colorful and cruelty-free.


I absolutely love this lippie from Aromi.  What a great color!

The C15 Super Booster from Paula's Choice is something I've been wanting to try.  I love her products.  The Booster tingled a little when I rubbed it into my hand, so I'm going to use a little less when I try it on my face.

The hand cream from Deep Steep has a very light fragrance, and a nice texture.  I have a lot of hand creams, but this one is a welcome addition.


If you'd like to see Phyrra's review of Petit Vour, please click HERE.

Long post, but I hope it gave you a good sense of what you can expect from some of these subscription boxes! Do you subscribe to one or more? What's your fave?

31 comments:

  1. Some nice boxes for this month you got! I'm only really into one beauty box at the moment but these are ones I'll have to check out in the future if I'm wanting to try another one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based from your showcase, I agree... ipsy has interesting products for May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all the boxes, exept BB5, you received where actualy great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to subscribe to a lot but the only one I do now regularly is Wantable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started Wantable. I couldn't resist all the great reviews!

      Delete
  5. The Petit Vour box looks amazing!! I get ipsy and BB5 also, though we got different items. I want to try the charged water spray! I just reviewed my June Wantable box, which is pretty much the best subscription box ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm only doing ipsy, but I must say your Birchbox and Petit Vour boxes appealed to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Glossybox myself but there are so many wonderful products here to play with that I'm totally jealous right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm over black liners too, but I do like that Cattiva one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All these boxes have good stuff in them, hard to choose a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loveeeeee subscription boxes! Loved my Ipsy bag from last month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them.. but I'm getting overwhelmed with samples!

      Delete
  11. I LOVE everything I have tried from H2O!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many to choose from! I am an Ipsy addict but have been thinking of starting a Birchbox and Julep sub.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need so new subscription boxes. Birchbox is a hit or miss for me too, this month I love love love the Pixi Lipbalm. I need the Beauty Box 5 for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a pretty nice set of subscription boxes! Sadly I wasn't as fond of my ipsy bag

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got awesome boxes in May, I think I would have preferred the products you got over what i got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need a BBC Sub Box swap. I'm always coveting what the other girls got!

      Delete
  16. I love Ipsy. This was a great month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sadly I cancelled my Ipsy after last month. My Birchbox wasn't too bad though which is a shock

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that Pixi lippy. The Eau Thermale Avene is amazing. I use it on my face and also on my daughter's diaper rash! There are so many uses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good comparison of all the boxes. I wasn't really impressed with my Beauty Box 5. It seems that these boxes are giving more and more samples and not enough of the full size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And packet samples are the worst. They almost never get used.

      Delete
  20. The Petit Vour box looks interesting. I really enjoyed my Ipsy bag in May too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like how you compared all the boxes

    ReplyDelete
  22. You got some awesome boxes this past month :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Out of these selections I would have picked Birchbox as the winner.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...