Lit from Within: Review - Beauty Box 5 February Box
-->

Monday, March 3, 2014

Review - Beauty Box 5 February Box

(Stay tuned - my #NailArtForNubs post goes live at 9am Eastern!)

Hello, Fireflies!

I love subscription boxes, usually.  Always something fun to try!  This month's BB5 box wasn't my fave, though.  Here's the box:


It's a birthday-themed box this month! There's a coupon for $10 off a personalized necklace, which is a decent deal.. but I have one already that I never wear.  So, not for me.

One thing in my box that I haven't seen in other reviews is this Aveeno body wash.

It's milky, rather than clear, which makes me think it's going to be super rich or hydrating.  It was fine, but it didn't help my hubby's eczema at all.  It did smell amazing, though.  The lavender is very soothing and calming.  Definitely for those baths before bed!


I meant to try this It's So Big mascara from Elizabeth Mott, but I have 3 other mascaras open right now, and I couldn't do it.  I have seen other reviewers mention that it has an hourglass wand which they really liked.  I've even heard it suggested that the wand be saved after the sample is done to use with other mascaras, they liked it so much.  So, I'm looking forward to it!



I tend to not use these packet-type samples of shampoo for some reason.  At least there were two, so I can make sure to get enough for my long, crazy hair.  I don't wash my hair but once every 5-7 days, so when I do, I like to pour on the conditioner.  The last thing I need is a volumizing product, though! I did read one reviewer say that it worked nicely on their thick hair, so I'm hoping it will work for me. And, it comes with a pretty good coupon!


I was super excited about the Rockstar Nails duo.  I mean, nail polish! It's like a sub box finally listened to me and gave me polish and nail art stuff! But, watch out for Debby Downer here, because I was so not happy with this experience.

First of all, THE SMELL.  I know I've complained about bad-smelling polish in the past.  This ranks up there with Nanacoco.  Horrid.  Secondly, there were multiple problems with the packaging.  Check this out:


I've gotten nail polish bottles with bows before.  Usually, the bows are tied on, and can be slipped off.  Not these.  They are GLUED on.  By the time I realized they would be a problem, I already had wet nails.  The bow dragged several times into my wet polish.

I was annoyed.

Here's the one positive:  The color.  It's gorgeous, on-trend, and a one-coater.  Love this color.


So, let's try the nail art! I applied a slow-dry topcoat to the nail, and poured the beads on over a dappen dish.  So far, so good.  The beads stuck beautifully, they match nicely, and with another coat of topcoat, they stuck together.


But, how do you get the extras back in the bottle?  There's no funnel, and I don't have one small enough.  I tried to make one with paper, but the beads still went everywhere.  I hate wasting nail art stuff.  You'll definitely run out of beads before you run out of polish.  Not that I ever run out of polish.

Not one of my fave boxes, but not horrible.  Even though the shampoo isn't for my hair type, it's still a good brand.  I can see the body wash being useful to those who bathe at night before bed, or bathe young ones before bedtime.  I see this as the box of good intentions, but just falling short for me. 

What do you think so far of Beauty Box 5?  If you're interested in signing up with my referral link, click HERE.

Stay tuned - at 9am Eastern, my #NailArtForNubs post goes live!


34 comments:

  1. This doesn't seem like that exciting of a box. Since its their birthday box, I feel like it should have been better. Great review on it though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you have a point. It should have been a birthday-stravaganza!

      Delete
  2. Definitely not digging the packets! You can get those free from magazine inserts.The nail polish looks nice 'tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Packets just feel cheap. I'm a beauty blogger, I deserve better! lol!

      Delete
  3. I hate shampoo packets and I never use them either. The polish looks nice but the beads would drive me insane. I am intrigued about that mascara because I keep hearing everyone talk about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to make myself open it one of these days. How exciting is an hourglass applicator? It's thrown the beauty blogging world into a tizzy!

      Delete
  4. I've heard awful things about that nail polish in this months box. Such a gorgeous color, it's a shame! Hopefully you love the mascara when you try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, 'unknown' underneath this comment thinks they're the best things in the box! I guess everyone feels differently about them. I'm with you - great color, but everything else..not so great.

      Delete
  5. I love the polishes. They're the best products in the box in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that mean that you just hated everything else even more? lol. The polish is pretty, I'll give it that.

      Delete
  6. I loved the color and pigmentation of those polishes, but the stench and low quality formula were off-putting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with that Aveeno body wash! I bought a full size. So relaxing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best-smelling product in the box! I really loved the smell.. too much, I think, because it was so relaxing! But I usually shower in the morning, and I need something with more zing! Maybe if I use it right before my nap... lol

      Delete
  8. I love that nail polish though. Pretty blue for spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you didn't read the review, though! The color was the only good thing about it. Try Zoya Rocky instead.

      Delete
  9. At least the polish color is pretty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have summarized my whole blog post with just that comment! Excellent!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. You wouldn't if you tried to put it on! lol

      Delete
  11. This box doesn't wow me. It's not bad for the price, but the polish review made me meh towards it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a longer subscription, so the price is less per month - which helps mitigate boxes like this one. Of course, I have to hope that next month's is better!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Kinda disappointing for their 'birthday celebration' box.

      Delete
  13. I received a box for consideration and wasn't a fan - I wouldn't sign up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had already signed up when they sent me January's box for consideration. I liked Jan's box, so I probably would have signed up anyway. If this was the first box, then no.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I wish mine had! I am so uncoordinated, really. You should have seen my expression when I realized I had dragged that #$%% bow through my polish.

      Delete
  15. The nail polish is so gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty, but that's it's only redeeming quality.

      Delete
  16. Wow that nail polish packaging sounds like a big fail. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I can rip the bows off, and hold my breath if I want to use it again! lol

      Delete
  17. I think maybe beaded nails are the worst attempt ever at nail art. they just fall off. boo. maybe it'll be better next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely wear any mani for more than a day now, so it wasn't that big of a deal to me that they don't last long, but I know that I'm not the norm. Even the expensive Ciate beads don't stay on any longer!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...