Lit from Within: Cover FX - The Power of Primers
-->

Monday, June 30, 2014

Cover FX - The Power of Primers

 Cover FX - The Power of Primers - SPF, Anti-Aging, Mattifying/Acneic, Eye Primer, and Blemish Primer

Hello, Fireflies!

I am a recent, and enthusiastic convert to the Cover FX brand.  I just love that they are about makeup that is also skincare, and about helping people look and *feel* their best. I was given the opportunity to test and review their stable of primers, and I'd love to share with you what I thought about them!

Because Cover FX is committed to skin care, in addition to keeping makeup in place, each of their primers has an additional purpose.

In order, from left to right, is the Cover FX primer with SPF 30, Anti-Aging, Matte/Anti-Acne, and Anti-Age Eye.  Each photo shows them a little more blended out, but not completely blended.  The first two are a little more dewy, with the Anti-Age primer having a slight yellow cast due to the Co-Q10.  Don't worry, though, that disappears when it's completely blended in.
 In order, from left to right, is the Cover FX primer with SPF 30, Anti-Aging, Matte/Anti-Acne, and Anti-Age Eye.
The Anti-Age Smoothing Eye Primer is a new product to me.  I absolutely love the pump! (Squeeze the tube while pumping for easier dispensing.) Smooth this primer on the eyelid and under the eye to help keep makeup in place, as well as reducing dark circles and puffiness!
I've already done looks with the SPF primer HERE and HERE if you'd like to go back and read the posts.  They were pretty fascinating, if I do say so myself.  Here's the TL;DR:
The SPF 30 Primer is a great one, and if I was spending time outside, I'd definitely reach for it!

For my first experiment, I put matte primer on half my face, and anti-aging on the other half.  The Anti-aging side was just a *touch* dewier, but there was no marked difference between the two sides.  There is, however, a huge difference between the no-makeup and the made up look.  Behold, the power of cheese makeup.

I put matte primer on half my face, and anti-aging on the other half.

In addition to my Cover FX BB Gel and Setting powder, I'm also wearing Maybelline Color Tattoos in Tenacious Teal and Tough As Taupe, with my Cailyn Gel Eyeliner in Iron, Rimmel Scandal Eyes, Retro Glam, and my coveted sample of Guerlain Meteorites! Ballz!


Here's the difference between what I looked like at the beginning of the night, and after a night of carousing with my friends.  Wow, I'm tired. And maybe a little drunk.  I wish I could remember what blush I had on, because it didn't last the night.  My lipstick didn't either, which is why I just put on something that was in my purse.
what I looked like at the beginning of the night, and after a night of carousing with my friends.
I felt like the matte side kept the oil at bay a little better for me and my oily skin.  There is noticeably more shine on the Anti-age side.  My eyeshadow is still mostly there.. and they are cream shadows! On oily lids!  With no creasing! How did I do it?


Well, I got some advice from my friends at Cover FX.  Because, the first time I tried this, these same Tattoos were sliding off my eyes within minutes.  They suggested applying a bit of the matte setting powder over the primer, and then again over the shadow. 

For the next experiment, I mixed the matte and anti-aging primers together.  I felt like a rebel.  I liked the slightly dewy effect, and the benefits from both the Co-Q10 and the salicylic acid.
Major gold shadow alert! And, cream shadows again! ELF cream shadows in Back To Basics, Gotta Glow, and Brownie Points, Jordana Blushed, Rimmel Scandal Eyes Retro Glam mascara, Physicians Formula liquid liner in brown, Too Faced La Creme in Believe, and the Hourglass palette.


Thanks to layering powder and eye shadow primer, my golds are still on at the end of the night.  Wow, even in just a shot of my eyes, you can tell I'm, uh, tired. Thank goodness for that primer that reduces puffiness and dark circles, prime indicators of the hangover!
Finally, I have a brand new product to share with you! The Blemish primer and brush are supposed to be coming out at the end of June, so if they're not already on the Cover FX website, they should be soon. Check out and 'Like' the Cover FX Facebook page for updates.

The brush reminds me a bit of a concealer brush, but the synthetic brush fibers have been treated with an antimicrobial formula to help prevent bacteria getting into the pimple.  The primer is a clear gel, designed to treat the pimples while giving your concealer a smooth surface to adhere to.  Because that crusty, flaky look of concealer on a pimple is no bueno. 
I have no shortage of pimples on which to try this product.  I need a little practice in feathering out the concealer (I don't have the Cover FX concealer; I used Tarte Maracuja concealer here.) but you can see that the concealer is smooth.  I also tried using the primer and just applying CC cream over it, and it really helps the CC cream stay in place and smoothed over the pimple.
It really is unfair that I'm in my 40s and still have pimples.  It's a myth that pimples stop at puberty! There are a lot of us that still have oily and/or acneic skin well past our teenage pimply years.  At least now I can treat and cover at the same time, and hide all the evidence!

I like having primers that have a secondary function - I can choose which primer best suits my complexion and my activities for that particular day!  Do you change your primer routine? Do you like primer to also function as skincare?

32 comments:

  1. I don't use primers myself but I've heard good things on how it can help make your makeup last longer. This was nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet to read and comment even though you don't use primers...yet! lol :) Thanks for the support, Lisa!

      Delete
  2. Girly, we may have adult pimples but you know the one and only one reason I like having oily skin? delayed wrinkles, woot woot! So far I have only tried Cover Fx concealer and I liked it a lot. I may have to try the primer(s) next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, that *is* a benefit! Much easier to conceal pimples than wrinkles!

      Delete
  3. I don't use primers all the time (I know, it's a crime!!) but these look amazing. I would love to try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a polarizing subject at time - to prime or not to prime? I like the added protection these give, both as skincare, and to keep my foundation from sliding off my oily mug!

      Delete
  4. I have so many things to comment on! First and foremost, your skin loks amaze-balls. Second, I'm 33 and never EVER had breakouts like I do until I hit my mid-20's (when I had kids). Next, where the eff does one get a sample of BALLZ?! I WANT TO KNOW THIS SECRET! Third, what lip color are you wearing in the pic above the ballz? Four, your hair looks so freaking soft and perfect in the pic directly below the eye primer? I think that is it. I feel like I'm forgetting something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Thank you! My mom has great skin, too, so I guess I get it from her. I can't imagine what having kids would have done to my skin! lol. 2) The sample of BALLZ came from Sephora.com! They had them for a hot second as either a point purchase, or a special code with checkout. 3) Argh, I don't remember, and I didn't take a picture. I want to say Too Faced Believe, but I don't know. 4) Thanks! That pix was taken for the post about Phyrra's Prettty Little Elixir! 5) xoxo! <3

      Delete
  5. I have been wanting to try Cover Fx, especially the mattifying primer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard great things about CoverFX products! I'll try to get a sample of maybe swatch them at Sephora :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've gotta try Cover FX products one of these days. I ADORE your glam gold eye look. I can afford to check out the elf cream shadows, and creams are my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same here, I am definitely past my pimple time but alas, I still get breakouts pretty much every day. As for these primers, the mattifying primer is probably the best one for me. With my oily skin and all... But I also really like the idea of a primer with SPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your gold shadow! I've heard so many good things about this brand and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I might like the mattifying primer! I tried the blemish treatment primer with the BB Gel but sadly it pilled when used together :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, I used the CC Cream for that look, and I haven't tried it with the BB Gel. I'll have to see if that happens to me, too!

      Delete
  11. Of everything that I've tried from CoverFX, I have never tried any of their primers. I suck. I think I'll give the mattifying primer a whirl. I'm pretty sure it'll hold up well in our crazy humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to try the matte one. I am an oily skinned person too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just going out of my comfort zone and trying different primers. I've been stuck with my Holy Grail one - but I've gotta experiment. Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy seeing reviews on primers because I'm always in the market to try new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice review, Lady!!! I think I might have to try the Matte one out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very thorough review! I am always looking for a new primer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always been a big Cover FX fan. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally need to try these primers. I love the Cover FX BB cream, and this may just be something I need to add into my routine. Love love love. And totally agree with Kath above- us oily skinned girl totally will have delayed wrinkles. lol.. whoohoooo

    ReplyDelete
  19. great post! you know I love cover fx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Primer is your best friend, I LOVE how this has different types of needs and skin types. So need to try Cover FX!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm with you! A good primer will change your life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are such a pretty looks you´ve created! I think I have to order some of these primers, because they sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've read so many great reviews about this skin care line. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look beautiful. I hear so many awesome things about Cover FX... the products sound and look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a big fan of primers. If that end of the night eyeshadow pic doesn't convince people I don't know what will. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love using primers! These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...