Lit from Within: Updating a Tape Mani With an Old Holo
-->

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Updating a Tape Mani With an Old Holo

Hello, Fireflies!

I'm updating one of my first recorded nail art looks, but using a Golden Oldie holo to do it!  This original is A England Avalon.. and maybe Camelot. A England polishes are what sucked me into the online world of polish!


I didn't get into polish when it was still easy to get the OPI DS holos, but I have managed to collect a few in the after market.  I lusted after OPI DS Original for a while, and was so happy when I got it.
 
OPI DS Original

Ah, OPI DS Original.  You are so pretty.  But you stink to high heaven.  That old formula is probably why OPI hasn't redone these amazing holos.  Pee-ew!

Pretty, but stinky, OPI DS Original

I discovered this tape in the clearance scrapbooking stuff at Target.  I don't think it's Washi tape.  It's got a rubbery feel to it, and is thicker than clear tape.  I find it works really well for tape manis.

I took cuticle scissors and cut a few different spiky patterns in the tape, applied it to one nail at a time, and painted over the nail with black.

 took cuticle scissors and cut a few different spiky patterns in the tape

Don't wait too long to remove the tape, or all of the polish will come off.  Also, it's helpful to stick the tape to your hand first to remove some of the stickiness.  You don't want the tape to pull off the base color.


I love that you can create any kind of spiky look with tape and scissors!


Bottle shot:   OPI DS Original, and Wet 'n Wild Black Creme.

Bottle shot:   OPI DS Original, and Wet 'n Wild Black Creme.

What do you think about the update?




17 comments:

  1. Love that holographic color you used here as a base color. Nice design you got with the tape too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the updated mani!!! Great colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhhhh I love this mani. Love the updated look and the holo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the halo. Very cool design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a very good way to upcycle a mani!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't you just a cleaver lady. I love that tape idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, that looks perfect! I'd never think of freshening up my old mani like that. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nifty trick! Need to try it out myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome idea to use tape! The mani turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it with the holo and the design is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This holo looks gorgeous and loos great with black!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the holo in the nail polish

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm addicted to the original OPI DS and I can't find it anywhere and I have gone through my back up bottle. Do you know if they are still for sale. It's so hard to order online here... because many places do not ship polish due to hasmat. Oi - love this mani, I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, OPI DS Original is not for sale, except by individuals, like on EBay or blog sales. There are so many Indies making holo polishes now, though, I bet you could find one you liked as much, or better! I would search for OPI DS Original dupe and see if anything entices you...

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...