Lit from Within: GOT - Don't Eat The Yellow... Sand?
-->

Thursday, March 27, 2014

GOT - Don't Eat The Yellow... Sand?

Hello, Fireflies!

Today's Golden Oldie Thursday challenge is Yellow/Peach. I had several missteps along the way, but I think it came together in the end.

Problem 1.  Peach in the bottle is not always peach on the nail.  China Glaze Love Letters is a gorgeous, jelly peach color in the bottle.  And that's where it stays.  After 3 or 4 layers on the nail, it still looked clear, so I stopped.  You can see it in the half-moon part of the pix below.

China Glaze Love Letters is a gorgeous, jelly peach color in the bottle.  And that's where it stays.

Problem 2.  Yellow polishes are almost all universally Teh Suck.  Several more layers of Revlon Sunshine Sparkles, and it's still fairly streaky.  It probably isn't helping that now I have on many layers of polish.

Revlon Tangerine has a little more yellow to it because of the Sunshine Sparkle behind it

Problem 3.  A sheer orange polish will be changed by the color put on before it.  Revlon Tangerine has a little more yellow to it because of the Sunshine Sparkle behind it. 

Stripes lead your eye in the direction they go

Solution 1:  Distraction.  Stripes lead your eye in the direction they go, so instead of focusing so much on the vertical streaking, you're not looking horizontally at the blocks of color.  Also, the stripes break up the color into smaller blocks.  Adding a little bling also helps with distraction.  Look up here! oooh, shiny!

Adding a little bling also helps with distraction.  Look up here! oooh, shiny!

Solution 2:  Topcoat.  Oh, topcoat, how I love thee.  You make everything smoother and shiny.


Bottle shot:  China Glaze Love Letters, Revlon Sunshine Sparkle, Revlon Tangerine, and a white striper.

Bottle shot:  China Glaze Love Letters, Revlon Sunshine Sparkle, Revlon Tangerine, and a white striper.

Oh, and the title?  When I showed my husband this mani, he said, "it looks like sand."  Um, okay, honey.  So, yellow and orange sand it is.  It doesn't look like sand to me.. does it look like sand to you?


18 comments:

  1. This kind of reminds me of candy corn. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nidia, please come over and play nails with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very summery mani! And while you got me all thinking of beach and iced tea we're still snowed in here in MI :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! Very summer and beachy!! you seriously have some of the most creative many ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It kind of reminds me of Easter Eggs lol men! I don't know where he saw sand

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going through a jelly polish phase right now, so I appreciate the warning against the China Glaze peachy one :P Great mani! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty! Those colors are so springy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was also thinking candy corn. Of course my deprived brain would go there... :P Revlon polishes are either fab or teh suck. I have encountered plenty of both. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute design. I love yellow polish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was JUST about to type what Miranda did when I read hers. It definitely looks like Candy Corn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha - it doesn't look like sand to me, either! Love this combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the favorite manis I've seen from you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...