Lit from Within: Unrequited Flakie Love
-->

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Unrequited Flakie Love

Hello, Fireflies!

Today's post has two manis that I did to try and recreate a love I found on Pinterest.  In the end, I was unable to recreate the look from Let's Do My Nails, and so, the love remains, sadly... unrequited.

For my first attempt, I started out with this beautiful blackened teal - Nails Inc. Kensington.

Nails Inc. Kensington

It's really hard to get a dark blue without having it look black, but I think this one does a good job. 

Nails Inc. Kensington

I picked up this polish from Essie's newer Luxe Effects release - Sparkle on Top.  It's not a true flakie, more like the new 'flakies' I tried from Butter London - iridescent mylar shards.


It's pretty! But not what I was looking for.  I tried it matte, which I think I like better:

I tried it matte, which I think I like better

Here's the bottle shot of my first attempt:  Nails Inc Kensington, Essie Sparkle On Top, and Julep Matte Top Coat.

Here's the bottle shot of my first attempt:  Nails Inc Kensington, Essie Sparkle On Top, and Julep Matte Top Coat.

Imagine my surprise when I realized that I had the two polishes listed in the description of the picture! This is OPI Cuckoo For This Color, a metallic teal.

OPI Cuckoo For This Color, a metallic teal

I topped with the true flakie topcoat, Essie Shine of the Times.  Gorgeous.  But it's not the same as the pix.  Whomp, whomp.

true flakie topcoat, Essie Shine of the Times

Even with a matte topcoat, it still isn't as light or vibrant as the inspiration pix. 

matte topcoat

Bottle shot:  OPI Cuckoo For This Color, Essie Shine of the Times, and Julep Matte Top Coat.

Bottle shot:  OPI Cuckoo For This Color, Essie Shine of the Times, and Julep Matte Top Coat.

Now, I, too, have experienced the bitter disappointment of falling in love with a swatch and finding myself disappointed in the actual recreation.  It's a special kind of heartbreak, a love that can never be fulfilled, because it only truly exists in special lighting and Photoshop.

8 comments:

  1. Wow I love them both mattified! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I usually like glossy, I was surprised to find myself in agreement with you! The matte topcoat really makes it.

      Delete
  2. I'm not usually a matte kind of gal, but I actually like both of these with the matte top coat, especially the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Go figure. It really brings out the flakies.

      Delete
  3. I like them matte! I do hate finding nail pictures that I love, but realizing they've been "enhanced" by Photoshop or whatnot--my photos might not be the greatest on my blog, but I also don't try to make the polish look like something it would never look like in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not opposed to a little touching up, but I do get weirded out when people erase their cuticles. I at least like the pix to be anatomically correct!

      Delete
  4. I Love the look of the first one, which is so surprising to me because usually I really don't care for the "poser" mylar flakes! lol -And I'm sometimes bummed by the real-life looks of a mani too! That's why, if I'm posting a pic somewhere that looks really cool but isn't a true representation, I always mention if it's a fluke of the camera/crazy lighting angle so people know that it might not look like that IRL. -Oh and I don't use photoshop (at least not to change/enhance the color. However, I am guilty of re-touching sometimes if my cuticles are craazy bad -cuz I don't wanna gross folks out! lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure all bloggers want their pix to look the best that they can. None of us want crazy weird lighting issues, but they happen. My camera hates purples, so I'm always having to ask forgiveness for posting my bluish purples.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...