Lit from Within: Purple Holo Argyle
-->

Friday, December 13, 2013

Purple Holo Argyle

Hello, Fireflies!

I can't believe it, but I'm spreading my artistic wings and trying something today that I've NEVER tried before:  Argyle.

Yes, I had to look it up to make sure I was spelling it correctly.

Once thought only good for socks and preppy sweaters, now you can have Argyle on your nails.  I made a purple one.

I started off with Girly Bits Remember Aja, a charitable polish made in memory of Aja Chandler. 

Girly Bits Remember Aja

It's a scattered purple holo with some fine glittery bits for extra sparkle.  Easy application, and is rather unique in my stash!

Girly Bits Remember Aja

There are several different ways to do this pattern, but I was inspired by a tutorial by NailDecor (she's on Instagram here, but I found it on a Pinterest of some tutorials, here.)

Next, I made a triangle on each fingertip with Above the Curve Aphaea, a greyish-purple with a subtle purple shimmer and holo.  I love AtC polishes, they are always great formulas.  This one is as well, if a little on the thick side, and the holo is scattered and subtle.

Above the Curve Aphaea

I made a trianglish-type blob on the top of the nail with Aly's Dream Polish Rumpleberry.  I have a lot harder time painting things on the nail bed side.  So awkward.  Luckily, a lot of my mistakes are about to be covered up with the argyle pattern and smoothed with topcoat.

Aly's Dream Polish Rumpleberry

I had to keep looking at the tutorial to make sure I was doing this right! I thought, why am I having such a hard time making triangles today! Geometry class was a long, long, long time ago.  Stay in school, kids!


I liked it, but I wanted more depth, so I added another set of lines in white this time, slightly off-set.  I love this!


The white and black together over the purple is so fresh. 


Bottle shot:  Girly Bits Remember Aja, Above the Curve Aphaea, Aly's Dream Polish Rumpleberry, and my trusty black and white stripers.

Bottle shot:  Girly Bits Remember Aja, Above the Curve Aphaea, Aly's Dream Polish Rumpleberry, and my trusty black and white stripers.

I could see doing this with so many different colors, using more contrasting colors, holiday colors - lots of possibilities! What color combinations do you suggest?

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I tried to use as many purple holos as I could! Love them all.

      Delete
  2. this is an awesome mani! i have to try my hand at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! You're so sweet. I can't wait to see your version! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Can't wait to see it! I hope you post it on my Facebook page!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...