Lit from Within: Cherry blossoms
-->

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Cherry blossoms

Cherry blossoms are hot, hot, hot this year.  I've seen them on wedding cakes, shower curtains, home decor, you name it.  I saw a version on Temptalia.com that inspired me to try to put it on a mani.

I started with Sinful Colors Why Not?  I didn't have a great first impression of Sinful Colors, but this color redeemed it for me.  This is one coat.  I left it at one because I knew I was doing art, but it was opaque already.  No pooling, very little cleanup.  I thought it was a dupe for China Glaze Shower Together, but it's not.  It's lighter, more turquoise, and it's not a jelly.


I painted the branches with China Glaze Unplugged and a striper brush.  Then I used a medium-large dotting tool to put the white outline of the flowers on the branches. I used a slightly smaller dotting tool to fill in the pink with Orly Sugar Plum, and a single dot in the center with Sinful Colors Feeling Great.  I added a tiny black and white dot to the center of each flower for hi-lights, and finished with Seche Vite.




Right hand:


I think it would have added more depth if I overlapped some of the flowers, and maybe sponged a slightly different shade of blue on top of the Why Not in the background.  I hope they're recognizable as cherry blossoms, and don't look like some weird alien eyes.

You're totally seeing the alien eyes, now, aren't you...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...