Lit from Within: Glittery, silly dragonflies
-->

Friday, May 25, 2012

Glittery, silly dragonflies

This is another design inspired by Robin Moses.  I find a lot of inspiration in her tutorials - they're definitely art to aspire to for me.

I started with a coat of Nubar Elegant Indigo.  It looks black, but it's really a midnight blue with a slight holo glitter effect.  Quite beautiful - my fave color is midnight blue, so this is right up my alley.


An extra shot so you can maybe see some of the glittery shimmer and colors in the blue.  I think it's gorgeous..


I kinda frankened a gold polish for the wings.  I just mixed small amounts of 3 or 4 different ones to get the right amount of light, and make it thick enough to paint with.  


Then I mixed purple and green glitter from Color Club together to make the wings really iridescent.  Robin used straight glitter, not a polish, and I would have, too, if I had any.


 It definitely adds a lot of texture to the wings to put glitter polish on them. But it was worth it. :)


I tried making the dragonfly body out of a black/silver mix, but I thought it would get 'erased' by the top coat, so...


 ...I added Sally Hansen Punk Rock to the body to make it pop.




I still have a lot to learn about proportions! lol, some of these look like they were done by a 3rd grader.  At least they're *supposed* to be a bit cartoony.  I'm not much interested in having realistic bugs on my hands.

And, finally finished off with Seche Vite topcoat:



2 comments:

  1. Cute...love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had some inspiration from Robin Moses' design. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...