Lit from Within: Oops & Dupes
-->

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Oops & Dupes

I paint my nails pretty often, so it's not THAT big of a deal when I screw up a nail, but I had *just* painted my nails with my brand-new, gorgeous Model's Own Peacock Green when I remembered that I promised to trim my dogs' nails today.  I use a Dremel (grinder) to do this, and it was bound to happen between 3 dogs that I would slip and gouge my nails.

Yes, I can hear the world's smallest violin playing for me.


I probably have a lot of dupes in my growing polish collection, but I wanted to start with some I had read about and see if I had any others in my collection that were dupes or cousins.

From L-R, Orly Buried Alive, Orly Royal Velvet, OPI Glacier Bay Blues, Nubar Indigo Illusion (over China Glaze First Mate)

In RL, the two Orlys are exactly the same in color, application, everything.  Bummer.  GBB has that wonderful blue/purple duochrome, but the blues are different.  Indigo Illusion is also a duochrome, but reads more shimmery.  No cousins here.


Another dupe I knew I had was China Glaze Riveting and Finger Paints Vermillion $ Painting.  I also tried Ulta's Snap Dragon Me Down (too golden) and Zoya's Gwin, which is the right color, but not sparkly enough.

Pinky - Zoya Gwin, Ring - Ulta's SDMD, Middle - FPV$P, and Index - ChG Riveting


I was disappointed that the much lauded Riveting (Hunger Games Collection) was a dupe I already owned. Both formulas were pretty similar, 2 coats, nice application.  The Ulta polish was a little thin, requiring 3 coats.  I really like Gwin, but I am still on the hunt for the perfect orange/tangerine creme.

I had read that the Wet & Wild I Need A Refresh-Mint was a dupe for China Glaze For Audrey, but I didn't know it would also be a dupe for Color Club's New Bohemian

Thumb - Revlon Windfall; L-R Sinful Colors Mint Apple, CC New Bohemian, CG For Audrey, W&W INAR-M

The CC polish is lumpy because I added a third coat to get the color right, but didn't pay attention to the drag. Oops.  In RL the color is indistinguishable from the other two.  Formula-wise, the China Glaze wins hands-down.  No contest.  It's almost a 1-coater.  W&W is a passable dupe for less money, though I don't like the brush or the formula as much.  The Sinful colors is a cousin, but has shimmer, and leans more green.  Windfall is way too green, but it's gorgeous, and I kept it on for my next mani, to be revealed tomorrow. (cue the suspenseful music)


Any dupes you know about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...