Lit from Within: Metallic Optical Illusion
-->

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Metallic Optical Illusion


Hello, Fireflies!

The other day I saw this mani by Devilish Designs that I fell in love with at first sight! I asked her to do a tutorial, and the next day, there it was.  Talk about amazing customer service.. blogger service?

She's nice.  And, super talented.

I thought the design would look cool over metallics, so I used Essie No Place Like Chrome and Maybelline Bold Gold to start.

Essie No Place Like Chrome, Maybelline Bold Gold

I used my trusty black nail art striper to make vertical stripes down the nail.  I wish I had gotten 4 stripes on my ring finger.  If you wanted neater stripes, striping tape would be best.  Laziness won out over neatness for me.

 used my trusty black nail art striper to make vertical stripes down the nail

In her tutorial, Devilish Designs used a hole punch to create a circle guide.  My nail beds are small, so I just used a hole reinforcer.  Now, it looks like there is a sticker on my nails, but there isn't.  it's just another layer of polish painted within the hole left by the reinforcer!

it looks like there is a sticker on my nails, but there isn't.

Using the hole as a guide, I used a striper to paint opposite lines - so where there was a black line on the base, I covered it with the metallic.  Where there was a metallic, I painted over it with black.


I want to try this again, rotating the lines 45 or 90 degrees.  I wonder how cool that will look! I liked this one using metallics, but boy Howdy, was it hard to photograph.  Too shiny - glare, glare, everywhere.  One of those times I had to take a lot of pictures and hope for the best!


Bottle shot:  Essie No Place Like Chrome, Maybelline Bold Gold, black nail art striper

Bottle shot:  Essie No Place Like Chrome, Maybelline Bold Gold, black nail art striper

I love this design, and as interesting as it looks, it wasn't hard to do at all.  If you can make stripes, you can do this nail art!




39 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Your gradient for this link up knocked it out of the park! Loved it. (check her out at The Polished Playground, folks!)

      Delete
  2. I can tell why you fell in love with the design! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love optical illusions - never thought of one as nail art before.

      Delete
  3. Cute nail art 'tho I must admit, I got lost w/ your nail aficionado jargon. I'm like what's a hole punch, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, a hole punch is something I've had forever, it's not a nail art tool - haven't you ever had a handout in school that you needed to punch holes in so it would fit in your three-ringed binder? You'd use a hole punch! Then, if you were nerdy like me, you might use hole reinforcements around the holes to keep the paper from ripping. That's what I used to do my nail art, too.

      Delete
  4. I love this! It totally messed with my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the intro to The Twilight Zone (I'm dating myself...) lol!

      Delete
  5. This is a really cool illusion and a good conversation starter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to take it off. I'm so glad I could put it on my blog to share!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Aren't you sad you didn't know about this design before your wedding? Can you imagine the pix of your rings? whooooaaa.. getting dizzy... lol.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I totally agree! :) Why I had to do a version of it. :)

      Delete
  8. That's an interesting mani! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of those cool, make your eyes go, woah! and your tummy turn optical illusion designs. Well done. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, it doesn't make your tummy sick! lol

      Delete
  10. What a great trick! I would never have thought up using a reinforcer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a couple of manis using a reinforcer - they're useful. The first time I saw someone using them was to help them get a cleaner line for a half-moon design. Clever!

      Delete
  11. This is so beautiful!!! I just love it! Wow! This was a really good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original in red and white with the black is really cool. I'm glad I found a way to give it a different spin!

      Delete
  12. Very cool artistic touches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH! That is interesting! Never seen something glide this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Devilish Designs is a genius.

      Delete
  14. I love that you show the steps in your manicures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's my patented blend of swatching and nail art, mixed in with my inability to do a video tutorial. :)

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. You are getting sleepy... you are falling under my spell! lol.

      Delete
  16. this looks really awesome :D I like the metallic colors you chose! :) great job! :D glad everyone liked them so much, I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my fave designs! You are a genius. I'm glad you like my version of your tutorial. :) :)

      Delete
    2. Im so glad u like it!! Ill probably b doin different versions in the future :D

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...