Lit from Within: Dotty Art Deco
-->

Friday, January 3, 2014

Dotty Art Deco

Hello, Fireflies!

I reached into the way-back depths of my Pinterest page to find this nail art that I've always meant to do.  Unfortunately, I was duped again and sent to an advertisers page when I clicked on the link!  I have no idea who this nail art idea belongs to, but if you do, please let me know so that I may give credit where it belongs.

I started with a beautiful polish with a weird name:  Nails, Inc Chelsea Physic Garden.  I don't know what kind of a garden a physic garden is.  Is it supposed to be psychic?  Still not sure what that is - a fortune teller's garden?

Nails, Inc Chelsea Physic Garden

It looks like the original artist used tape for this next step, but I was feeling ballsy, so I freehanded it.  Free-falling is more like.  I don't think I would know a straight line if it bit me on the butt.

Nails Inc Primrose Park

After painting the lower 2/3 of my nail with Nails Inc Primrose Park, I dotted in some larger squovals that touched the top, and some smaller dots along the cuticle.
 
I dotted in some larger squovals that touched the top, and some smaller dots along the cuticle

Then I took Chelsea Physic Garden and dotted a smaller circle inside the squarish-ovals.  I can't decide if this is more tribal-looking or art deco, but I went with Deco, because of the alliteration with Dotty.  I can't pass up good alliteration.


I really like the effect of dotting the background color inside a larger contrasting color.  Makes it look like I am *really* good at drawing tiny lines.  I like anything that makes me look better than I really am. 

I can't decide if this is more tribal-looking or art deco

And, here's the bottle shot:  Nails, Inc Chelsea Physic Garden and Primrose Park.

bottle shot:  Nails, Inc Chelsea Physic Garden and Primrose Park

When I first started doing nail art, I never would have thought that this design would be doable, but if you break it down into smaller parts, it's pretty easy.  If you try it, I'd love to see your version on my Facebook wall!

38 comments:

  1. Both are nice blues from Nails Inc. that you used here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A physic garden is one full of medicinal plants. This is the one that the Nails Inc polish refers to: http://chelseaphysicgarden.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's a real thing! I do feel quite silly now, though! lol. Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  3. Love those blues together, such pretty hues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often like taking colors from the same brand to see how well they go together. I liked this combo, too!

      Delete
  4. Cute mani, love the blues. :) I like doing dotting like that, too. It looks all fancy-schmancy without having to have any real art chops. (I have no real art chops.) Don't you just love alliteration? :D I HATE pins that direct you to spammy ad pages! I always report them. I think that they should be killed with fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're on the same page! Who do you report the spammy links to? I never thought to do that. Duh.

      Delete
  5. Very cute mani, like most ladies who commented before me, I'm also a huge fan of blue nail polish. Those two colors go together so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when there really wasn't much in the way of blue polish, and anything other than frosty pink or champagne was for those bad girls. Now, I'm a bad girl and I love my blues.

      Delete
  6. that lighter blue is gorgeous! I love the contract with the darker shimmer art :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a theme here with my attraction to light blue. I think I have a different color for tomorrow's post! lol

      Delete
  7. Cute nail design love the two shades of blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish i knew who to give credit to for the design!

      Delete
  8. Cute design, both of these are pretty blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for a metallic, it was pretty good. A little thin, but I still liked it a lot.

      Delete
  9. I love the shades of blue polish together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks! I like Nails Inc, but try to only buy them on sale. $5 is a good price for them. $9? not so much.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks, I wish I knew who to attribute it to!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not creative, but I am getting better at finding nail to be inspired by!

      Delete
  13. So pretty....love your nail design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it looks complicated, but dotting tools make it easy!

      Delete
  14. Very pretty shades from Nails, Inc. I'd never get one circle on let alone all you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you would. Lots of dotting tools are double-sided with one large and one small side. Just dot the smaller inside the larger. Bullseye! (pun intended, snort!)

      Delete
  15. This is so cute! I'm gonna do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your version! Hope you'll post it on my FB wall! :)

      Delete
  16. I hate when that happens on Pinterest! (Sheila)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. That's why I started watermarking, so hopefully people could find me if they liked my pix.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...