Lit from Within: My Tribal Texture Crush
-->

Friday, January 24, 2014

My Tribal Texture Crush

Hello, Fireflies!

The other day at Ulta, I picked up this OPI duo of a base coat and a texture in this season's orchid color - My Current Crush:

My Current Crush

I love this color! Tooling around on Pinterest, I saw this tribal nail art by Raggio Di Luna and was immediately inspired to try it on My Current Crush.  Would it look as good on a texture?

I don't know how Raggio di Luna got her pyramids so clean.  Maybe she used tape? Maybe she's freakin' amazing.  I freehanded them, and they look like lumpy triangles. 

I freehanded the pyramids, and they look like lumpy triangles

Next, I made the V shape with a silver glitter striper.  If you find using stripers to be incredibly awkward, try cutting them down.  My favorite ones all have the brush trimmed down - not the length, but the thickness.

V shape with a silver glitter striper

The white triangle is so tiny on my little nails!  I pretty much had to blob the white in there and then clean up the shape with my black striper.  No way could I make it that straight.


I loved this even more with topcoat!  It smoothed out the art, and My Current Crush took on a softer, but still glittery look.


I fudged the pyramids on my right hand, but no one could tell.  From normal hand-viewing distance, they looked the same.  I wore this to a dinner party and impressed the crap out of the people there who actually cared about these things.  The guys pretty much looked to their wives to see what the appropriate reaction should be!

Which, of course, should be a slow golf clap.


Bottle shot:  OPI My Current Crush, nail art stripers in white, black, and silver glitter.

Bottle shot:  OPI My Current Crush, nail art stripers in white, black, and silver glitter.

I'm glad I didn't let the pyramid shape intimidate me from trying this nail art because I love how it turned out!  Have you ever been inspired by a complicated design, and found a way to make it work for you?

37 comments:

  1. Pretty purple texture! Love the simple design on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks simple, but it took me a bit! That pyramid was killer. lol. Probably would have been easier if I'd used topcoat first, and then did the design on a smoother surface. Live and learn!

      Delete
  2. I am a sucker for OPI and purple. This is really pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the one I mentioned to you on your blog. It's a great red-violet-orchid color.

      Delete
  3. I'm not all in for these type of textures but I like what you did with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the ones with glitter the best. They behave much like an Indie glitter when you topcoat them - smooth, with flashes of light.

      Delete
  4. Stunning and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raggio di Luna was the creative one, I'm a copycat! lol

      Delete
  5. If I was at the party, I would have been one of those ladies admiring your pretty nails :) Marvelous job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..and I would have been pretending it was nothing, but beaming from ear to ear! lol

      Delete
  6. It turned out SO well! I am loving that OPI polish and need it NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The duo was on clearance for $15, and I went back and forth on getting it... but I'm glad I did. I really love it.

      Delete
  7. I love the color. I love your tutorials because they're easy to follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the best compliment! I'm a blush, really. One of my goals is to make nail art more accessible. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Adding my own slow clap. You did great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am dying for that color - great design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually changed my whole outfit to find something that went with the colors so I could wear it to the dinner party. I loved it, too! lol

      Delete
  10. Love this! I haven't tried My Current Crush yet but I can't wait to get it on my nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll share a pix, or let me know if you post it on your blog - I wanna see! It's so pretty.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Did you also find it in that duo pack, or was it released on its own?

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. purple seems to not only be the Pantone color of the season, but also the color for a lot of Valentine's Day looks. Loved yours - especially the little heart. :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much I ended up liking that color, too. An early favorite for 2014!

      Delete
  14. I'm usually not a fan of the texture polish but I do think it's a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I end up picking at the textures, but I do like them. Ones with glitter look awesome with topcoat.

      Delete
  15. Oh cute! Love the textured base for the tribal look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was hard to paint over, though! lol! Not one of my smarter moments.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. thanks so much! I stretched myself a little with this one.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...