Lit from Within: Nothing Funnier Than A Drunk Monkey
-->

Friday, January 10, 2014

Nothing Funnier Than A Drunk Monkey


Hello, Fireflies!

This month's Nail Challenge Collaborative challenge is 'Inspired by a Tutorial'.  Well, that's my specialty, isn't it, since I'm not creative at all, and most of my looks are inspired by someone else's mani?  This one was inspired by this tutorial from Adventures in Acetone.

I started with Nails Inc Swiss Cottage, a metallic yellow-green.  It's actually a great metallic, a thin formula, but it doesn't need much manipulation - and that means fewer brushstrokes.  It's kinda hard to photograph because the light just bounces! In the end, though, I felt it was a bit too yellow for my skin tone.

Nails Inc Swiss Cottage

You can see how much Swiss Cottage was fighting me, here!  I tried a half-dozen ways to get a good photo, but it just teased me.  You can still sorta see the outline of the monkey's head that I painted with China Glaze Prize Winning Mare, a lovely shiny brown.

China Glaze Prize Winning Mare, a lovely shiny brown.

The monkey face is starting to take more shape with China Glaze Kalahari Kiss, a yellow-tan color. It really isn't opaque enough for nail art, but works with a few coats.

The monkey face is starting to take more shape with China Glaze Kalahari Kiss, a yellow-tan color

Sally Hansen White tip and a dotting tool for the eyes.  Zombie monkeys...  maybe next Halloween?

Sally Hansen White tip and a dotting tool for the eyes

And, the devil's in the details.  Finally, they look like monkeys, and have some personality to them.


 Topcoat seals in the design! oooo-oo-oo-ooo! aaa-aa-aaaa! *scratches*


Bottle shot:  Nails Inc Swiss Cottage, China Glaze Prize Winning Mare and Kalahari Kiss, Sally Hansen White Tip, and Wet 'n Wild Black Creme.

Bottle shot:  Nails Inc Swiss Cottage, China Glaze Prize Winning Mare and Kalahari Kiss, Sally Hansen White Tip, and Wet 'n Wild Black Creme

Anyone else hankerin' for a banana?  What say you to monkey nails?





35 comments:

  1. Aww how cute! The monkeys turned out great ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not a mani I could easily do on both hands, but so much fun!

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely adorable.. love the personality that just jumped off the page once you added the black! Fab job Nidia! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having them look all over the place. lol

      Delete
  3. Aww those are cute little monkeys :) I think you recreated that tutorial really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't done videos yet, but I like breaking down manis into easier steps.

      Delete
  4. omg those are SO stinkin cute!! I disagree, you are creative!! I love seeing what you come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - but is it really creative if I use someone else's idea? I do expand on it a little, change the colors, a few details. I guess I'll take credit for that much! lol

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness, those are adorable!! Wishing I had some similar colors to make monkeys on my nails...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use whatever colors you want. Call them alien monkeys if it makes you feel better! lol

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Wow! Don't let the originator hear you say that! lol

      Delete
  7. The monkey's are sooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to do something silly once in a while, no?

      Delete
  8. This is my favorite look you've done yet, sooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG SO CUTE! This is so my fave & I may have to do one too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! Please post on my FB page if you do - at least a link if you post on your blog. I'd love to see and share it with my readers.

      Delete
  10. I bought a box set of Five Little Monkey Jumping on the Bed and read at least one a day to my grandson. I'd love to have my nails look like this. How adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that book. I wish I could do your nails with this mani, but I think it's not too hard to recreate - I'm sure your grandson will love them however they look.

      Delete
  11. Great tutorial! So cute!!!!! (Sheila, Painted Ladies)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Sometimes, I gotta let the 12-yr old in me shine. :)

      Delete
  13. So cute! I love the one on the middle finger :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! I think the cross-eyed one on my index is my fave. LOL. They're all pretty silly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. THIS IS SO ADOOOOOOOORABLE!!! You did an amazing job, seriously!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...