Lit from Within: Flakie Moon Candy
-->

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Flakie Moon Candy

Hello, Fireflies!

I bought a couple of these Revlon Moon Candy sets because I love flakies.

*gasp*

Like you didn't know.  Anyway, I know they're not REAL flakies, they're mylar shards.  The mylar doesn't lay flat like a flakie, they're bulkier and need to be placed on the nail like glitter, rather than seamlessly incorporating into the polish.

When I saw Revlon Orbit in the display, it was the only one not on clearance... and I had to have it.  Look at this one-coat purple perfection.

Revlon Orbit

Purple flakies? Purple flakies! Ermagerd.

Purple flakies!

I dabbed the flakies on one hand, and tried the sponge technique on the other.  I went through a lot of the flakie side to get this mani.  Dabbing the flakies on the sponge and letting the sponge absorb some of the clear polish meant I could get more flakies in one go, but because these are clear and very hard to see on the sponge, I had a hard time seeing how many I had, and they also got all over the place because my sponge should have been smaller.


Revlon Eclipse is a berry/plum color.  Caution, folks, this one is a stainer!  But great formula, and a beautiful creme.

Revlon Eclipse

I just dabbed and rolled these flakies on.  I love the blue and purple lights over the plum.  This flakie polish is tinted pink, so it makes the base polish color a little darker, but not much.


It's hard not to love the effect, even if they aren't as nice as regular flakies.  Do be quick about applying them, because they will soften the original base coat, and it will start to come off with too much manipulation.  You'll have flakie potholes.


Revlon Moon Candy Orbit (purple) and Eclipse (berry)


Do you love flakies as much as I do, such that even these mylar shards will seduce you?  Or are you unimpressed with anything except the original flakies?  Or, *gasp* no flakies for you?

47 comments:

  1. I love flakies too! These look pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're pretty, too. Even the base colors are nice, and the formulas great.

      Delete
  2. I Love flakies! I saw these so many times on display and kept talking myself out of buying them :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from the purple one and a grey one when they *first* came out, I bought the rest on clearance. At their usual price of $7 or $8, I don't think it's worth it. But for $2-3? Yes!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I can't help but fall in love with them every time..

      Delete
  4. So pretty! I always see those in the stores and never pick them up! I totally should.. How convenient to have both polishes together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some will hate that they're so tall and don't store easily, but if you're not worried about that, they are really convenient - especially to take a few with you for the weekend!

      Delete
  5. I should really start being creative with my nails. If only I have THE patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes I don't have the patience... and I bump it, or scrape it off! But the actual painting is like therapy for me, my zen time. :)

      Delete
  6. Orbit is just so much my kind of purple - and I love the layerings, even if I prefer flakies that lie flat LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see Orbit on you with some gorgeous tiny flowers! I, too, prefer flat flakies, but sometimes, I heed the siren call of another flakie...

      Delete
  7. ....and I'm going out to buy Orbit TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, I couldn't resist it, even at full price. *hangs head in shame*

      Delete
  8. Both of them are very pretty, but i especially love the way Orbit looks on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love jewel tones, and purple is one of my faves! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Looks great on you! I have used mine all up! I loved it! But I do prefer the flakies that lay flat ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you..you *finished* a bottle of nail polish? I think you're my hero! I prefer flat flakies, too.

      Delete
  10. I'm pretty obsessed with flakies, and I do have some of these. It's ashame they are so much effort to get the effect, but they look fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was obsessed with holos, but I think I'm even more obsessed with flakies. You're right, I wish the mylar was a little easier to work with.

      Delete
  11. I'm obsessed with flakies. If I see em, I buy em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want access to your flakie collection! lol

      Delete
  12. I've always been curious about these products! They're always having a sale on them at rite aid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish we had Rite Aid! I'd love to know if you decide on one.. and I want to see it! :)

      Delete
  13. I love flakies! Rite Aid has the best clearance prices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky to have Rite Aid! Think of me when you get a beauty on clearance... lol

      Delete
  14. I must admit, I have every single one of the Moon Candies and I love them all. Wish Revlon would just issue the top coats on their own, plus, why can't their regular creme range have great one coat polishes like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Revlon cremes.. but you're right, they're not one-coat and they're not as nice as these were. Huh. Hear us, Revlon! We want MOAR!

      Delete
  15. I need to find cruelty free purple - blue flakies. All of my flakes with purple and blue seem to have green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes! That would be amazing. I wish I could stick to cruelty-free everything, but I'm too much of a magpie - shiny! must have!

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. I was super-impressed with both the color and the formula!

      Delete
  17. Wow, these look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like the flakie look and don't mind taking a little time to apply them, I think they're worth the effort.

      Delete
  18. I've always been really curious of those Revlon sets. I like the purple one best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to get them all. They are that pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks! I may need to see if I can find more colors on clearance!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love blue polish and that one is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may want to check your color settings.. I know my camera has trouble capturing purple, but neither polish is blue! One is royal purple, and the other is a berry/plum color. I love blue polish, too - it's one of my absolute faves.

      Delete
  22. I am loving your Purple flakies mani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the purple one (Orbit) definitely wins!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...